Here are some of the things people tried to teach me today:
- all wars are caused by religion
- young couples today want to get their children baptised, but can’t because the words of the service claim that their precious little ones are full of sin.
- new mothers can’t go out till their babies are churched.
- new mothers can’t go out till they themselves are churched.
- creeds and vows are mumbo-jumbo.
- vegetarians are unrealistic, hypocritical and self-righteous.
- it is wrong to allow children to be involved in a wedding even if the bride & groom want them there.
- Anglican ministers are not called priests.
- good Christians don’t go to church.
- the best people aren’t Christians.
What I actually learned:
- when left to a mixed crowd of atheists and occasional church attenders, a priest’s best friend is the Air Force paramedic who is equally misunderstood.